Mission and Goals
The focus of this coalition is to educate the public an about suicide prevention strategies and resources available in our community. Please join us in getting the message out.Together we can make a difference.
Our Mission Statement – Reaching Out – Saving Lives
The Geauga County Suicide Prevention Coalition strives to:
- Increase awareness that depression is the primary cause of suicide;
- Change public perception about the stigma of mental illness, especially about depression and suicide; and,
- Increase the ability to recognize and intervene when someone is suicidal.
Targeted populations are those highest at risk of suicide:
- Youth – Age group 14 to 17 years old
- Adults – (specifically males ages 25 to 50)
- Older Adults (specifically males over 65)
- Survivors of suicide
The goals of the Geauga Suicide Prevention Coalition are to:
- Establish and maintain a coalition of stockholders in the community that will join forces to reach out and hopefully save lives.
- Continue and enhance the development and implementation of the County-Wide Public Awareness Campaign, designed to increase knowledge and reduce stigma associated with suicide by providing:
printed materials featuring suicide prevention information;
communication with local media in comprehensive, continuing education for the community; and,
website links to suicide prevention information on the web.
- Continue and enhance the provision of Gatekeeper Training to identified professionals and social service organizations to increase knowledge of key individuals by providing training and education about signs and symptoms of depression and risk of suicide.
- Continue and enhance the Geauga County Suicide Prevention Speaker Bureau to provide education to identified stakeholders, community groups, and civic organizations
- Recommend and adopt an existing evidence-based teen suicide prevention program for Geauga County teen population.
- Establish collaborative relationships with other regional Ohio County Suicide Prevention Coalitions to provide a forum for exchange of ideas, successes, and challenges in preventing suicides in Northeast Ohio.
If you would like to become a member of the Suicide Prevention Coalition, please call the Geauga County Board of Mental Health & Recovery Services office at 440-285-2282.